Friday, February 05, 2010

Newspaper Yarn

Newspaper Yarn



A friend of mine recently sent me a link to a page explaining how to make yarn out of newspaper. I rummaged through my house, found some newspaper, and gave it a shot.

The page actually said to use a drop spindle, but my drop spindle was otherwise occupied. I twisted this ball of yarn by hand, which is no easy task and is messier than you might think. My hands were covered in ink for a couple of days.

Oddly enough, it wasn’t hard because of the repeated twisting of the wrist required. It was hard because the paper would often rip straight through when I twisted it. I don’t know how the person in the tutorial managed it on the drop spindle.

I don’t think I’m actually going to make anything with this. Paper is a very flimsy substance and I’m a pretty violent knitter/crocheter. I don’t think it would survive a project. So I’m just going to hang onto it and admire how it looks. I may ever take more pictures of it every once in a while.

No comments: