Monday, July 19, 2010

Back to the Future

It’s another installment of Things I Really Should Have Watched By Now:

Back to the Future Edition!


Back to the Future



Actually sitting down and watching this movie made me realize that I have, in fact, seen this movie. I just never saw it in order. Fifteen minutes here, twenty there… It was just one of those movies that I never caught in time to watch the whole thing.

And MAN was it an awesome movie. It was so cool to sit down and put all the iconic things I’d seen before in context and, although there were some of those awkward scenes that usually send me reaching for the mute button on the remote so I don’t end up pulling my own skin off1, the awesomeness of Michael J. Fox’s classic 80s kid performances managed to diffuse the awkward quickly. Which was good because I generally like having skin.



1 I know, I know. I’m absolutely bonkers, but in general, scenes where one person is trying to pass as another really freak me out. I don’t know why.



Back to the Future 2



I was very excited to watch this one after finishing the first movie and I was especially excited to see that this movie starts off right where the last one ends. That rarely happens. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen before. Even though I know that they didn’t make the movie right after making the first one, it seems like no time had passed. Each actor was exactly the same characters. It was brilliant.

It was thrilling to see this universe’s version of the future. Their version of the past was clean and classic and ideal; so was their future. It was actually more stereotypical of the 1950s version of the future than the 1980s, and I found that very interesting.

And then, of course, we go back to the past, which was great because it was just like it was the first time. This whole movie was still fun and exciting after having watched the first one.



Back to the Future 3



Back to the Future does the Wild West! I knew immediately that this would be a lot of fun.

I was mildly disappointed that we didn’t get Marty’s obligatory strolling through the town sequence, but it’s understandable because this was almost before there was a town. We got to see the dedication of the clock which plays such an important role in the previous two movies, which was awesome.

The main new thing about this movie, however, is that the Doc gets a love story this time. I thought it was down really well. It was funny and charmingly awkward and full of science fiction-y fun. I thought Clara was a wonderful addition to the mythology.

AND THEN A TRAIN HEIST FOR SCIENCE. There has never been a better train heist, I think. Brilliant.

All in all, it was a wonderful ending to the trilogy and I’m so glad I sat down and watched these.

If you haven’t seen them yet, you definitely should.

No comments: