Thursday, August 05, 2010

Despicable Me



Despicable



I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't quite sure what movie I was in the theater to see. To be completely honest, I had been mixing up and mashing the previews for this movie and another animated movie for months. I don't even know what my expectations for this movie were, so my reactions coming out of it were a bit interesting.

Whatever they were, I think some of them were met and some of them weren't, and I think one of the aspects of this movie that failed to impress me was the story. I liked the premise for the movie, certainly. Older villain finds himself being replaced by a younger, up-and-coming villain and, during his attempt to achieve the greatest act of villainy yet, he finds himself growing fond of some cute little orphans. His heart grew three sizes that day and they all live happily ever after in a newly reformed existence. It's a lovely story.

But the actual execution of this story was... odd. The set up for Gru's great heist took up half of the movie which was quite tedious and I think the focus should have shifted over to the little orphan girls much sooner. They had a huge impact on how Gru viewed his life, but we don't see a whole lot of that. We're meant to assume that they did lots of happy, fun things together, but it was disappointing that they didn't spend more time actually exploring that.

That being said, it was a very funny movie. The minions were great and the girls were cleverly hilarious and Gru was consistently funny throughout. And Vector threw the Nerdfighter sign, which made me laugh considerably. Overall, I enjoyed myself and I'd still recommend that people go see it. The kids will love it.

No comments: