Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy




I’m not entirely sure if this is an “official” review post or if this is a Things I Really Should Have Watched By Now post. I mean, it’s going to be about The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. The 1980’s television serial Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. So, you know… it’s a bit of a toss up, really.

First thing you should know about this program is that it’s short. Six episodes. It took me less than a day to watch them all straight through. So, if you are interested in this series at all, it won’t take you very long.

The second thing you should know is that it doesn’t just cover the first Hitchhiker’s Guide book. It actually takes pieces from a few of the books and arranges them into a somewhat linear fashion. There are always pieces left out – this is inevitable when adapting a book to a movie – but when I was watching this I didn’t feel that leaving those pieces out made the story any less entertaining.



I know this isn’t a series for everyone. To be honest, it’s a bit of a cult series. It’s very dated to the 80s, and frankly, the whole thing looks ridiculous. It has cheesey British acting of all sorts and terrible blue screen and Atari looking computer animations. I loved it, but there are some folks out there who wouldn’t be able to get through it.

But seriously, if you like the Hitchhiker’s Guide books and like a little 80s cheese every once in a while, watch this. I watched it on Netflix streaming, but I know there are places you can buy this on DVD. Some places may even have this for renting. I don’t know. But it’s brilliant.


No comments: