Monday, January 31, 2011

Tron: Legacy




Well, I’m finally typing this out, am I? I saw this on the… second? January 2nd?

I think so.

Anyway, TRON.

First things first, I was not a kid raised on Tron. Somehow, I managed to miss it completely. Thanks to the wonderful powers of absorbing things around me without realizing it, I knew the look of it and the general idea of Tron, but I never really got a look at it until Kingdom Hearts II.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Shut up.

So I played through the Tron levels of that game and it was AWESOME, so I resolved to watch the actual movie. And I did. Once I got Netflix.

To be honest, I don’t remember much of it and what I do remember are the parts that I played in Kingdom Hearts. But I remember enjoying myself and feeling all victorious when the MCP was defeated and that whole thing.

That’s not how I felt coming out of Tron: Legacy. I mean, it was a good movie and I liked it, but I don’t think it met my expectations at all. I wanted everything to be faster and sharper. I wanted the updated light cycles to blow my mind and they didn’t. I wanted more fighting. I wanted more of the programs to act like programs instead of people inside of a computer. I wanted less existentialism. I wanted more of the games.

And I sure as hell wanted more Tron. Poor bloke’s barely even in this movie and even when he is in the movie he isn’t properly Tron due to plot-ish reasons.

I’ll admit, I’m fond of Clu and his story with Kevin Flynn. That was good. And I wanted more of that with Flynn and mini-Flynn, who seemed to just forgive an entire lifetime of abandonment very quickly. I didn’t really like the ISOs storyline.

It was nice to see it in theaters and my brothers and I had a good time with it, but all in all, Tron: Legacy needed more Bruce Boxleitner. Basically. Is what that comes down to.

No comments: