Friday, February 25, 2011

Podcast Extravaganza

I don’t think I’ve blogged about podcasts yet. Odd. Because much to everyone’s chagrin, I’m addicted to podcasts.

Specifically Frogpants Studios podcasts, but you’ll see that soon enough.

Anyway, I thought I’d present you folks with a summary of the podcasts I listen to regularly. I might start reviewing new podcasts I pick up. I’m not sure yet. But I’m always glad to pimp out what I’m enjoying.


AppSlappy – A Frogpants podcast hosted by Scott Johnson, Eric van Skyhawk, and Eileen Rivera about iOS device apps. iPods, iPhones, iPads. You know. I’m not a fan of Apple products most of the time, but I do have an iPod Touch and this podcast got me into the whole app side of it.

The Audiorant – A rambly podcast that was regularly published by Commissioned’s own Obsidian. He started this podcast a while back to vent about things that annoy him. It’s been on hiatus for a while, but O has said on his site that he intends to start it back up again when he has a chance.

Celtic Myth Podshow – This one’s a bit self-explanatory. Hosted by Gary and Ruth, this is a podcast about Celtic myths and mythic storytelling from the UK and Ireland. This one has also been on a bit of a hiatus due to Gary’s health, but new episodes pop up now and again, especially around holidays.

The Cheese Cast – Hosted by Hello With Cheese’s Dern and Obsidian, this podcasts features web comic artists talking about whatever they feel like. Sometimes even comics. Because they both work on Hello With Cheese.

Comics Coast to Coast – A Frogpants podcast hosted by Brian Dunaway, Justin Thompson, and John Stamford. This is an interview show where you can get some inside looks into the world of comic publishing, both online and in print.

Coverville: The Cover Music Podcast – A Frogpants podcast hosted by Brian Ibbot all about song covers and song cover trivia.

Coverville: Musically Challenged – A spin-off of Frogpants’ Coverville hosted by Brian Ibbot. This one’s a sort of podcast gameshow based on music trivia. I subscribed by accident when I was resubscribing to Coverville. The last episode was in August 2010. I don’t know if this one will be updating again any time soon.

The Creep – A Frogpants podcast hosted by Scott Johnson and Brian Hough about Starcraft II. No, I don’t actually play Starcraft at all, but I like hearing about the vidja games.

Current Geek – A Frogpants podcast hosted by Scott Johnson and Tom Merritt, who bring you the geekiest stories of the web three times a week. This is a much shorter podcast that the others, averaging at about ten minutes long. They used to also do an hour long show on Fridays, but that seems to have stopped for now.

Diary of a Cartoonist – This is a sporadic Frogpants podcast put together by Scott Johnson. These are looks into his personal life, his thoughts, chats with his kids, etc. It’s a very informal and unscheduled podcast. More like a personal audio blog than a podcast.

Drunk Tank Podcast – A podcast put on by the folks at Rooster Teeth talking about current events, behind the scenes on projects, and whatever else they feel like. Crazy antics ensue.

East Meets West – I just subscribed to this one, so I’m not too familiar with it. Tom Merritt and Roger Chang host and they discuss current events and culture and whatever comes to mind, I suppose. Another Frogpants podcast.

Film Sack – Possibly the most brilliant Frogpants podcast. Hosted by Scott Johnson, Brian Ibbot, Brian Dunaway, and Randy Jordan, these fellows watch a film dug up from Netflix streaming (especially old or bad films) and present their hilarious impressions of the film. I have hurt myself trying not to laugh out loud at work while listening to this podcast.

The Final Score – A Frogpants podcast hosted by Scott Johnson, Brian Dunaway, and Nicole Spag. This one’s about the vidja games. Updates on what’s in video game news, what the hosts are playing, revisiting old games. Good times.

FourCast – A Frogpants podcast hosted by Scott Johnson and Tom Merritt wherein they invite two guests to make predictions about the future.

Frame Rate – A podcast on the TWiT network hosted by Brian Brushwood and Tom Merritt about movies and television.

Hypothetical Help – A Frogpants podcast hosted by Scott Johnson and Mark “The Turpster” Turpin. They try to give advice and answer questions from listeners of the show. Of course, they are not in anyway therapists of any kind so any advice is purely hypothetical.

The Instance – Another video game Frogpants podcast hosted by Scott Johnson, with new cohosts Dills and Turpster (previously cohosted by Randy Jordan, but he’s landed a new job that puts the podcast into conflict with his work). This is a World of Warcraft podcast. And no, I don’t play WoW either. I just like hearing about it.

The Morning Stream – The official Frogpants morning show! Hosted by Scott Johnson and Brian Ibbot, this podcast airs Monday through Thursday and covers news, celebrity nonsense, and other morning show type segments. This is the newest Frogpants podcast.

The Movielicious – This is one that I just started recently. It’s a Frogpants podcast hosted by Patrick from France, Turpster, and Nicole Spag about current(-ish) movies.

The Muppet Cast – Self explanatory again! A podcast! About the Muppets! Hosted by Steve Swanson. News, reviews, rumours, meetups, interviews… everything you could want to do with Muppets.

Say Something in Welsh – This is a podcast I pick up now and again to learn some conversational Welsh. Why Welsh? Because I’m crazy.

The Shakespeare Sound – Hosted by Reggie and Dana, this is a podcast that teaches you how to read and interpret Shakespeare. Specifically, his sonnets.

The Sword and Laser Podcast – This is a Frogpants podcast science fiction and fantasy book club hosted by Tom Merritt and Veronica Belmont. Books news, books to read along with, book discussions. You can also find them at Goodreads.


And I’ve got two more listed in there, but they are completely dead, as far as I’m aware. One of them might be reinvented for another purpose some day in the future, but I leave them subscribed just in case.

I likes me some podcasts. Clearly.

No comments: