Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Charitable Getting



Charitable Getting
by Sam Starbuck




Charity in the twenty-first century is a game. The players are artists, salesmen, and idealists, all working together to get something for nothing. The goal is to raise the money; the trick is to keep it coming.

At the center of the game stands Bo Sparks, charismatic CEO of SparkVISION Consulting, which runs campaigns and offers support for the charities under its care. Surrounded by the wealthy and the desperate, Sparks just wants to do a little good in the world.

Journalist Tanya Montray has a different goal. She’s certain that SparkVISION employs Non Prophet, a popular and controversial blogger. She’s determined to uncover him, but if he’s an employee of SparkVISION there could be trouble ahead.

And then there’s Trent Byron, head of the oldest charity in Chicago, who has some issues with the way Bo Sparks does business and isn’t afraid to play hardball.

Sex scandals, embezzlement, gossip, clandestine love affairs, and one misplaced cake: it’s all in a day’s work for SparkVISION.


I feel like I don’t need to say any more that that. What more could you ask for in a book?

I couldn’t put this one down either. After finishing Nameless, I was ridiculously excited to pick this one up. It’s the one that folks at Sam Starbuck’s blog reference often because of Sam’s actual life as a receptionist in Chicago and the oddities he encounters in his day to day life.

This book was even better than I expected it to be. I’m not sure whether that was because I could see Sam’s blogged life weaved into this story or what, but like Nameless, I was just absolutely drawn into the world he shows us. I couldn’t put this down.

Definite recommendation from me on this one. Pick this one up.

Digital Copy
Physical Copy


.

No comments: