Thursday, September 30, 2010

Monty Python's Flying Circus



This definitely falls into the Things I Should Have Watched By Now. Seriously. Monty Python? How did I even manage that?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not completely ignorant here. I had seen all of the famous sketches and Holy Grail and The Life of Brian. I did have background in Monty Python. I just hadn't managed to sit down and watch the episodes.



I first sat down and watch them during my internship this past spring. I didn't always have enough work to do and the work I did have was spectacularly dull and I had my own office. It was only sensible to start secretly watching Monty Python's Flying Circus.



But I stopped watching it in the madness of graduating and didn't pick it up again until after I finish the epic Stargate run. And that was stupid. I should have picked it up much sooner. Monty Python is still one of the funniest shows I've seen and I'm not sure anything will ever be able to compete. They pushed boundaries and crossed lines and changed TV as we know it today.



I mean, I'm a 22 year old American. I don't always get the references and I wasn't even alive when this was airing to have any cultural context for this show. Sometimes I think I'm missing out because of that, but EVEN STILL. Amazingly hilarious. Obviously. And if you haven’t sat down and watched these, do it.

2 comments:

Erica said...

LOOOOVE Monty Python's Flying Circus. I had a couple of old videotapes of the show back when I was in college, and wore them out. Got the full DVD set a few years later. This was the basis for most of my current comedic appreciation. I have actually LEARNED a good bit about literature, history and general British culture from watching this show!

From there, I was on to Fawlty Towers and pretty much every decent British comedy from there until now. If you're still interested in such things and want more, may I recommend (not that you asked): Peepshow, Father Ted, The IT Crowd, and That Mitchell & Webb Look for starters!

Erica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.