First, I cut out all the seams and pockets so that I had a pile o' pockets and a pile of flat jean legs. Then, after collecting more jeans and filling up the space I cleared, I cut all the denim down to squares.
Not all of the denim was trimmed down to squares, of course. I did staple a pair to some plywood and painted windmills on them for an art project and I did use some scraps for a couple of dolls/plush-thingies, but cutting them down into squares seemed like the best solution at the time.
And the squares just sat there. I attempted a project or two with them, but I never really finished anything.
Until this weekend...
I also made one of the 3x3 bags for my mom with a Snape T-shirt lining it, but I didn't grab a picture.
I've still got a pile of squares and T-shirts to turn into bags. I'm already finding them handy for knitting project storage. I will have a million freaking tote bags by the time I run out of denim.