Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Cat Hoodies and Scoundrels

1. Cat Hoodie

You know, I never thought I would be one of those people forcing his pets into clothes. I blame Audrey. Because, frankly, she's adorable in costumes and sweaters and loves trotting around in them, so The Gabbers will dress her up whenever. Who doesn't love a corgi wearing a Batman cape?

So my poor cat is an old man. He's about... 17? Ish? He was a stray that we took in when my brother was in preschool and that brother turned 21 this past fall, so he's been around for a long time. And he's had some thyroid issues over the past couple years, when ended up costing him more than half of his body weight. He was eating regularly again and putting on some pudge, but he's been sick again, so he lost that. So he gets cold very easily and not just the normal cat need to be on top of anything warm. I mean, sometimes he shivers when he's cuddling up to Mom because she doesn't give off as much body heat as Dad or I do.

Mom told me to make him a sweater to see if he would wear it. So I did.

Cat Sweater

He doesn't stay in it for very long if he's walking around and he hates the process of putting it on, but he's pretty content to wear it when he's taking a nap on someone's lap. He definitely recognizes it as something his. He gets annoyed when we pick it up off the floor and if someone leaves it on the couch, he will curl up on top of it.

Pattern: Cat Hoodies
Needle: US 7 - 4.5 mm
Yarn: Merry Little Lamb Handspun in Sage/Iron; Palmer Family Farm grey


2. Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn

I've missed finishing books and writing about them, but I don't think I'm going back to the video reviews. Those ended up feeling too much like work and I wasn't really having fun anymore. One of these days I will make a video on that channel to explain, but I mean... I haven't done a book review in about a year.

So I'm going to write about them hear, instead.

Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn is a Star Wars book set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. It looks into some of the shenanigans that Han Solo gets into in the time between those two movies.

This book is a lot of fun, actually. It's basically a heist starring our favourite smuggler and copilot. Han and Chewie are approached to steal some coded credit chips, so they put together a team of thieves, hackers, pilots, and con men to break into a vault owned by a high profile official with ties to Black Sun. It's a pretty straightforward book, which I think is precisely what my brain needed after Christmas, but the plans put into place and the adjustments made due to unforeseen complications keep it interesting. Like any heist story, there's plenty of clever gadgets and secret identities and witty banter among the team. I really enjoyed it.

If anyone's interested in picking it up, familiarizing yourself with Black Sun and where it operates in the Star Wars universe might be helpful, but it's been ages since I read anything which involved Black Sun in great detail and I wasn't confused by any of the political talk.


My next book is The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, so stay tuned if you'd like to hear about that one.

No comments: