Sunday, March 16, 2014

"Empty the Refrigerator" Scarf and Spinners

1. Backlog

Guys.

I've been trying to get my photos together for blogs posts and I have a lot of stuff made and in progress to show you. Too many things. It's a little ridiculous.



2. "Empty the Refrigerator" Scarf

So my family has these things called "Empty the Refrigerator" recipes. They're not written down, but they tend to be things like soups and stir-fry things that use up all of the leftovers in the fridge so that we can start the week fresh.

And that's the approach I took with this scarf. I had a bunch of tiny balls of sock yarn leftovers and a bunch of mini-skeins from Gnome Acres and this is sort of based off of a scarf I saw at Stitches, though I couldn't tell you which booth it was in. I just used up as much of the small 20 yd or less sock yarn skeins and balls.

Needle: US 3 - 3.25 mm
Yarn: Lots

"Empty the Refrigerator" Scarf

"Empty the Refrigerator" Scarf "Empty the Refrigerator" Scarf


Spinners by Donna Jo Napoli & Richard Tchen

I really enjoyed this book. It's a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin with character background and development for both the girl who must spin straw into gold and Rumpelstiltskin himself. It's fantastic. Also, there's a lot of spinning nerdery in this book, so if you are a spinner or have interest in spinning, this is a great story to read if inaccurate description drives you bonkers. I'll admit that I'm a pretty novice spinner, but I was thrilled that all the spinning (and there is a LOT of spinning in this book) seemed pretty accurate to me. But the rest of the story is really good, too. Lots of character growth for both of the main characters and really interesting twisty story about family and obligation.

No comments: