Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

A book post!

I recently read through Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. I went through a Crichton phase at the end of high school where I just read Crichton books until my brain couldn't deal with it anymore, but Jurassic Park didn't end up on my list. I have no idea why. There were definitely copies of it in the library, but I skipped over them.

This is a great book. I think my experience reading it was affected by being familiar with the movies and, I will admit, that I ended up rewatching the first two movies in the middle of this book because I kept getting the theme stuck in my head. While I do enjoy the movies, I really liked this book by the time I finished it. I was impatient with the set up when I first started it, but I think this ends up being a better story by the end.

A lot more of the island is explored during the book and I really enjoyed the behavioral observations and experiences with the dinosaurs. There was some especially interesting observations of the T-Rex, which made parts of the movie actually make more sense to me. Also, the luxury of time with books explains the mutation and adaptation of the dinosaurs in a much more comprehensive way. The socio-political climate in the book, which wasn't really explored in the movies, added another interesting layer to the whole thing.

I really liked this book. It expanded the whole world of Jurassic Park, but it didn't ruin the movies for me, which was really nice. Sometimes it's hard to really like the book and the movies at the same time, but that isn't the case with this one for me.


.

No comments: