Monday, July 28, 2014

Circle Mitts

Circle Mitts

Pattern: Circle Mitts by Sybil R

Needles: US 1 - 2.25 mm DPNs

Yarn: An assortment of colors of sock-ish weight yarn pulled out of a discount bin at the Holiday Yarns booth at Stitches East '13. I have no idea what the colorways are or even the specific blend of wool or whatever, but it was $20 for as much yarn as I could hold in one hand, so I'm not complaining.


I really like how this pattern turned out, but I don't think I'll be trying it again any time soon unless I get some longer DPNs in the right size or figure this out on circular needles. I have wide hands, which meant that the needles got really full at the widest point of the circle. I kept losing stitches off the ends because there was no room to move on the needles.

Part of the difficulty I had might have been with switching yarns every four rows, which made for some awkward gauge and ends to weave in during the circle increases. It might have been less finicky if I had used just one self striping or patterned yarn instead of switching yarns for each stripe.

Anyway, I really enjoy the end product and once I got into the rhythm of the construction of these, it made them a really quick knit.


Circle Mitts

2 comments:

Fayme Zelena Harper said...

I've been wanting to make something like this for a while now. When I read your title, I thought it said "Circus Mitts" which made perfect since. I have found some long bamboo DPN's at an asian discount shop which has since gone out of business. So I know they are out there. Maybe try Ebay.

Fayme Zelena Harper said...

*Made perfect sense even.