Monday, March 31, 2014

Shop Update, Behind the Scenes, Purl Ridge Cowl, and WIP

1. Shop Update!

If you missed my post yesterday, there is a shop update over at my Etsy shop at 7 pm EST! The moleskines and stitch markers will be restocked and new handspun will be listed! Check it out!


2. Behind the Scenes: Product Photos

It seems like every crafter I know has different ways of setting up their space for blog photos and product photos. My normal blog photos are pretty casual. I try to worry about lighting, which will be much easier in the coming months as spring sets in, but I generally don't fuss over the work in progress photos. I'm sure you've noticed that they're usually taken on tables or on the rainbow blanket at the foot of my bed.

But product photos and photos of finished objects tend to be more of a production. I'm not a professional by any means. I've picked up a few things from The Gabbers, who went to school for photography, and from other bloggers, but my stuff has mostly been trial and error. Since I broke out the set up yesterday for the handspun photos from yesterday's blog spot, I thought I'd share my set up.


Behind the Scenes: Product Photos

First, I set up my staging area: a folding tray table and a W.B. Mason's paper box. The box itself is covered with some white fabric I picked up a Jo-Ann's on clearance because the yellow of the box tends to shine through the other stuff. I don't have it pictured here, but there was also a flattened box from Amazon on top of that tray table to widen out the service, since the tray table is narrower than the W.B. Mason's box.


Behind the Scenes: Product Photos

Then I drape the whole thing in a white sheet that I picked up from a thrift shop. You can see that's it's a wrinkly old thing. Washing it has never helped with the wrinkling and ironing has proved to be futile. It's pretty terrible.


Behind the Scenes: Product Photos

So then I cover that whole thing with this double seed stitch blanket that I made a while back. It provides a nice, clean background with enough (intentional) texture to keep the photo interesting.

I like product photos with a plain, flat white background, but I've very rarely managed it. I've used paper, fabric, one of those light box things, natural light, spotlights, lamps... I can't consistently get that pure white background and keep the colors of the object I'm photographing. I knit a "swatch" about the size of a place-mat in the double seed stitch and tested photographing items on that in natural light and I was able to get much more consistently good photos. I think my camera likes the shadows in the knitting to balance out all the white, so it's not distorting the color nearly as much.

Speaking of...

Camera

This is my camera. I bought it back in college when I was still doing YouTube videos with frequency. It's served me well enough. With my iPod and phone working well as "on-the-go" cameras, this one generally just stays home and takes photos of yarn and animals that wander into the yard.


3. Purl Ridge Cowl

Pattern: Purl Ridge Scarf
Needles: US 7 - 4.5 mm
Yarn: Debbie Macomber Blossom Street Collection - Wild Meadow


Purl Ridge Cowl

I finished this almost two months ago. I figured I'd better post it. XD



4. WIP

Graham Hat WIP

I cast this onto the needles Saturday night after finishing a project that lagged on forever. This will be a hat. I'm using the pattern Graham by Jennifer Adams.

No comments: