Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Varsity Stripe Socks and Other Stuff

1. Varsity Stripe Socks

Varsity Stripe Socks

Pattern: Varisty from the book 2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes

Needles: US 3 - 3.25 mm

Yarn: Grab bag yarn from the Holiday Yarns booth at Stitches East 2013. As much yarn as I could fit in my hand for $20. Yep.


This was my first time doing socks on a really long circular needle and socks done 2-at-a-time. It was interesting. I purposefully staggered the stripe progressing so that I was working with two different colored yarns at a time to keep straight which sock was which. I like how the socks turned out, but I'm not entirely thrilled with the stretch to the stitches while the socks were on the needles. I don't know if my needles just weren't pliable enough yet, but the cord kind of stretched out the socks around the halfway loop. If you know what that means. Yikes.

(Sometimes I forget how ridiculous talking about knitting can be until I write it down.)

Anyway, it was slow going because I was still learning and I still favour DPNs for my socks, but I wouldn't be averse to using this method again and I have some other patterns from that book marked for future projects.

Varsity Stripe Socks Varsity Stripe Socks


Also, thanks to @clamhoppers for the photos of my actual feet! I was trying to take these photos with the 10 second timer, but the surface in the photo is actually a trailer that I had to climb onto, so without help all I was getting were photos of picking the grass out of my socks:

Varsity Stripe Socks



2. Other Stuff

Speaking of @clamhoppers...

(Who is my youngest brother Pickleface, if you didn't know)

He's off to college! He's completed one whole week so far!

And that's partially why the blog hasn't been updated. There's been too much going on. There was some drama at work going down that led to a lot of anxiety on my part. Both brothers were moving to college for the fall semester (Stovetop for his senior year and Pickleface for his freshman), which meant a lot of house and car wrangling for a while. The Gabbers' boyfriend has been up in our neck of the woods for work training, so she's been coming up pretty often to hang out at the house to kill time or keep herself from murdering her landlord or make tomato sauce. My mom's van tried to die, so there's been a lot of vehicle wrangling at home as well.

With everyone out of the house but myself and my parents, there's been this a drive to get stuff sorted while no one else needs the space. There was some furniture gymnastics involving a very large chaise and some stairs and there has been a lot of organizing neglected spaces.

And I've got more craft things started now than I did last time I posted! I'm trying to get things together for a fall/holiday shop update with new Christmas things AND a few scarves which are time consuming. I started a large-ish Halloween cross stitch pattern. I've started a new quilt.

And I'm fretting about my Halloween costume which will be very easy and not so costly with the exception of one thing and I have to get that one thing right. If I get it right, it will be bad ass. If I get it wrong, I'll be very sad about it.

But things are improving. I'm trying to get to work earlier so that I don't have to make up so much time at night/will only be working overtime at night. I'm working on balancing out all the craft stuff into manageable chunks. I'm looking forward to the madness of my upcoming yarn event schedule:

  • September 9th - Coventry Farmer's Market Fiber Fest
  • September 26th & 28th - Western Connecticut Yarn Crawl (Mom's working on the 27th so we're skipping that day)
  • October 10th - Stitches East (actually 9th - 12th, but we need to limit ourselves here)
  • November 1st or 2nd - New England Fiber Festival (which I might be going to alone, depending on Mom's work schedule)


So excited about it. And worried. But it's the natural progression into the crisp goal-oriented worry of the end-of-year months, which can be mitigated by copious lists, tea, and spontaneous baking.

Now if only summer would just leave and let fall settle in.



.

No comments: